Organic Alfalfa Microgreen & Sprouting Seeds
These organic alfalfa microgreen seeds are grown and harvested in Canada. Alfalfa is a very nutritious microgreen with many benefits. A natural detoxifying agent, Alfalfa has been used for centuries to support good health. The Arabic word Alfalfa means “father of all foods.” It stands to reason, Alfalfa is extremely nutritious. Traditional Chinese Medicine has used Alfalfa leaf to stimulate the appetite and relieve ulcers. The Alfalfa microgreen is mild in flavor.
Storage: Our seeds should sprout well for a year after you purchase them, if stored in a cool dry place. If you’d like to extend the germination life of your seeds, store them in the fridge. If you store your seeds in the freezer, they’ll last even longer!
All our sprouting seeds are certified organic and non-GMO. Compostable packaging is 100% plant film from non GE corn.
Nutritional Information – Organic Alfalfa Microgreen Seeds
- Vitamins: C, B6, Riboflavin, Folic acid, Protein, Thiamin, Pantothenic acid, Calcium, and Iron.
- Minerals: Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Copper, Manganese
- Alfalfa microgreens have a high antioxidant capacity and are high in phytoestrogens.
Difference Between Spouts and Microgreens
Sprouts are the first stage of a plants development, microgreens the second. They are grown hydroponically and without medium, and are keep moist and at room temperature until they germinate. The entire sprout is consumed, including the root.
Microgreens are grown in soil or a soil-less medium such as a jute grow mat. They are harvested after they have established roots and opened their cotyledons. Only the stems and leaves are consumed; they are harvested above their roots.
Directions for Growing Alfalfa Microgreens
- You will use about 28-30 g (1 oz.) of seeds per 1020 tray. Do not pre-soak the seeds.
- Use a blackout dome 3-5 days. At Day 3 and 4, flip the lid onto your growing crop to enhance strength of the plant.
- You will notice germination around 1-2 days with an estimated time to harvest being 8-12 days.
- These microgreens have large, deep-green leaves with mild crunch and flavor.